Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Sincerely, From Droid X

 
This important blog is coming to you from the Droid X. Well, technically it's from me, but I am using my phone to write this post. I was downloading apps the other day for my Droid X, when it hit me, to try and write a blog post using it. Therefore, forgive any typos, as this is an experiment.

Using this new media, and comparing it with using a traditional computer for posting, I can honestly say I'm a faster typist on the computer. Also, I had no idea that my little (depending how you view it ) phone had so many possibilities. This thing can do so much and it is so complex. It has so many apps. I can find my phone through GPS if it is stolen, I can text a special phrase to my phone to start ringing if I lose it, and I can even take pictures of things I can't describe and search for them on Google. Ridiculous. The world is at my figertips, literally. It has to blow my grandparents minds if it blows mine, because I grew up using computers, and I am still amazed at the possibilities.

I can find he nearest stores, restaurants, navigate to them with my free Google Maps GPS, and check scores on ESPN any time of the day. I would never have made it not knowing some of those scores! I can keep all my dog's information from birth in my phone, and have all her information any time I need it. I can check my heart rate, eat healthy, call people on Skype from my phone, and chat with them too. I can check for dangerous weather instantly, read the news, watch television, or even movies. I can check my car speed, see if a surface is level, and entertain friends with a random facts app.

The possibilities are endless. I know that many people already know the capabilities for these smart phones, and I thought I did, but now it is just such a big concept to wrap my head around. It's fascinating. No matter how much I love my Droid X, I will probably use my Mac for posting blogs from now on. I'm glad computers aren't going anywhere for a long time.

4 comments:

  1. Caleigh, I want you to keep working the critical analysis in your posts. Why will you go back to writing on your computer? What does that mean in terms of the different types of productivity enabled by computers vs. mobile phones?

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post. I've got a wordpress app on my phone and I have read some of my posts on it but I haven't gotten around to actually using it to create a post yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried using the wordpress app to write a post on my iPhone and it bugged me so I just saved the post and finished it on my computer later that day (I wasn't near a comp. so thought I'd get ahead by doing it on my phone). I think smartphones are great when you're not near a computer and you need to know info quick, but most times I prefer my comp. for longer or more in depth types of things, like writing etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just ordered one of these, pre-Black Friday sale. Until I was an EMAC graduate, I was very hesitant to purchase any sort of advanced smartphone. As Kim said, what sorts of differences exist between using a smartphone and a computer? Does it come down to smartphones simply being technology's latest flavor (then again, I guess that title has been relinquished to the almighty tablet)? Or do both tools offer unique user experiences? If it's really just the same thing but in handheld, touchscreen form, I don't know that I won't feel extreme buyer's remorse, what with 2-year contracts and data plans. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

    ReplyDelete