Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I Spy...

      My presentation for the week is based on multiple readings regarding locational privacy, rights for social network users, paranoia in the fiber optic age, and some form of privacy being reached by certain web sites.

Power and Paranoia in the Age of Fiber Optics - Introduction by Wendy Hui Kyong Chun
      This piece started out very interesting, discussing the differences between freedom and liberty. The introduction also talked about a paranoia of believing data is ever erased from any electronic devices. Who is out there watching you while you're at school, an ATM, outside, inside, or in your car? This piece also discusses how fiber optics buried underground, all over the world, transform the world into a type of motherboard.
       Now people can also be watched at home on their computer, even if they are just playing Solitaire. I have a friend who once hacked into our mutual friend's computer and could watch what he did at any moment, and even delete his files or go through them. It had nothing to do with sharing internet connections, it was merely because of a program, a sniffer that the introduction talks about.
       After this section of privacy and wandering eyes, the introduction shifted to technology and the internet as sexuality, and paralleling it to electronics in sexual positions. I was a bit disturbed, intrigued, and lost during this time. I did enjoy the first section though.

A Bill of Rights for Social Network Users, Commentary by Kurt Opsahl
      This short article online suggests that users should be more aware of their privacy settings on social networking sites, and demand more control over them. This topic also rolls over into the next article.



On Locational Privacy, and How to Avoid Losing it Forever
      This is the article I mainly wanted to focus on, because this topic has blown up so big since this article was written in August 2009. It is a very interesting topic, and very creepy at that. To think that someone out there, you might not know who, and in multiple databases, has information about your locations. They might know where you ate that day, who you talked to, if you went to the doctor, what highways you were on and what time, if you were at work, at a hotel when you weren't supposed to be, and where you like to eat and how often. There are ways to get around locational privacy, but the companies do not want to participate in securing the privacy of users of applications. Every time you use your phone to find a place near you to eat, that is being written down somewhere. Why do they need to know where you're eating? To target you to spend more money, and to build the most popular businesses around the best areas for the market. Here is a question: is this good or bad? Would you like to have what you love the most right by your house? Or would it just encourage you to spend more money eating out and not cooking at home? What are the good and bad about locational databases?
Here are some questions from my Prezi Presentation.
  1. When do you consider locational data tracking useful/good?
  2. When is it invasive/bad?
  3. Have you thought much about this issue before now?
  4. Does this data sharing bother you?
The ironic thing about this questions, is that they are also data. This is not a closed, private site. So if you do not want to answer those questions in a comment, feel free not to.
This YouTube video relates to this topic.


Beth's Blog: How Nonprofit Organizations Can Use Social Media to Power Social Networks for Change
      However taboo this topic is, and even though I do not want to touch on it: the main message of the blog was understood. Women and men who have experienced abortion can go to the web site below and discuss their thoughts and experiences, and not be judged for them. They have an online community dedicated to those who have experienced abortion and need to reach out to someone. In the blog they do not use anyone's name, anyone's story, or even post the web site information. The site takes a stand against social media sites that share information. They are showing that an online community can be created and function, without the expense of the members and their personal stories and information.There is no personal information on the web site itself, and I found it pretty easily on Google, so "not finding it"  did not work.

http://www.4exhale.org/about.php

3 comments:

  1. I'm excited for your presentation. In answer to one of your questions, I think I've always been leery of location sharing programs. I've never wanted to do Four Square or check-in to places on yelp etc. When FB came out with it's check in thing, I refused to use it and told others that did not to tag me if they check in somewhere with me. It's not that I'm paranoid/or worried about people finding out where I am. It's just that they don't really need to know. If they want to know where I am, they can text/call/ask me and I will gladly tell them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think what I will consider locational data is good is when I encounter traffic congestion. Some people send out the traffic condition update and I can locate the location, so that I can avoid the traffic. So do you think this locational data is good and useful?

    Samuel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love location sharing programs, as long as I can scam them. My friend said to me "Did you get a job at Zeus Comics? You are always checking in there." On Facebook I rarely check into the actually place that I am. When I was using for Square I liked to check into places named things like: My Boo's Place & The Schaffner House. I only like to share where I am for real if it is somewhere really awesome (which is rarely the case) so that my "friends" can be jealous.

    ReplyDelete