Wednesday, November 17, 2010

iPod, Generation 1000

      I love Macintosh as much as the next geek, but I must say that one thing annoys me. Apple is always coming out with a new iPod, iMac, Macbook, etc, every few months it seems. I remember when I got my first iPod touch. It was August 2007, but two weeks after I purchased mine, the second generation came out, with speakers and sound. I wasn't too happy about that. Should I have researched it more? Probably. However, like many college students, I didn't.
      My question is, are the generations developing too quickly? If I was not in the emerging media world, I would be lost already in the changes, that is for sure. Many people do not even know what generation to buy, what generation is the newest, or what is going on. Also, it seems as though the newest generation only has a few extra perks than the last most of the time. It seems when I go to Apple's web site, that I find something "new and innovative'.
       How fast is too fast? How much time is enough time for people to soak in the new information and product? It seems that just as people start accepting the new product, another generation comes out. Of course people find out about new products via commercials, but what about those that do not watch much television? Would generations be more "special" if they only came out every two years or more? I think the marketing would be more effective and the products would sell even more than they would now. If people had the chance to buy the current generation, but had to wait a few years to get the new one, then it would be a big marketing release for the new products. It would be more exciting and easier to keep up with for the average person. A big marketed release every few years would be a much bigger and exciting deal than a new release every couple months. Perhaps this is just my opinion, but I am interested to know how everyone else feels about this idea.
      I feel that people become overwhelmed with too much product and product information, that sometimes they make uninformed decisions because there is too much to soak in. As Americans, the lazy thing to do is take someone else's word for it, or just take what is in front of you and what is available. If people had more time to soak in the knowledge of the product, talk to their friends and family about it, and research it themselves, then the products would produce a steady cash flow. Apple cannot just account for the early adopters and such, they must also include the laggards.

7 comments:

  1. This is why I'm not an early adopter. I hate the idea that I spent too much money or money on the wrong thing. I didn't buy the ipod touch until the second gene and I still feel like I bought too early because a new gene just came out. I'm curious if because Apple turns over products so often if they aren't training their customer base to not rush and buy the newest product release. I also wonder if this is making people cynical shoppers. Have we become so used to not being able to keep up with product releases that we don't care to buy the newest, newest product. If we missed that sale it's doesn't really matter because another one will happen in a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, Good point. How fast is too fast? It seems like we are not able to catch up the latest technology product. We need to keep telling ourselves "This technology is enough for me to talk on phone, listen music, etc." I think satisfaction is the most important.

    Samuel

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why I had to calm it down Apple and most products. There is always something new coming out every few months....heck weeks.

    If a product or company could just create a piece of software or technology that instead of just keep buying new products, the customer could trade it in or just have an update. (I know that was a long sentence) LOL I think that would work out better and make life easier and of course they could find a way to make profit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another point to consider is that marketing executives often repackage the exact same product as shiny, new and improved without making any changes whatsoever. Consumers are not allowed access to the truth behind these products, and there's no real regulation in place to force companies to be transparent about their practices. They find loopholes to allow the most cost effective way to promote and distribute products.

    I would like to say I am savy about what i buy, but in reality, I don't know if there is a way to be truly knowledgable. I have to rely on a combination of my own common sense and research of products, but a free market system was never meant to give the consumer power of purchasing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When iPods come out it is more like once a year and not every few months. Apple uses a skimming strategy in which the price starts high and they offer incentives just before they release a new model. So if you find that its a good deal to buy, that means the new model is just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, it bugs me that new generation whatevers come out all the dang time. But, you have to decide, if you always wait for the next one that comes out because it will be better than what's out there now, you'll never have one. Sometimes you just got to bite the bullet and buy it, and then if a new one comes out just accept what you have and hope that the one you have now dies sometime when an even better one is out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes...this has always been the issue with technology. The product is obsolete the minute you walk out the door. Just like when you buy a new car. The minute you drive it off the lot it loses $10,000 in value automatically. The way I deal with it is to buy what I need to do the job. I know something new will come out before what I have wears out, but as long as what I have is still doing what I need for it to do, I'm good. Besides, it makes it that much more fun when you do get to buy a new one.

    ReplyDelete