Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Media and Marketing

So, now that I have my new job at Fossil at Northpark, I must say it really changed my view of the mall, stores, and marketing in general. I did not know the extent that stores/companies go through to change their sets during the holidays. It sent my mind spiraling into the process of supply and demand, but more importantly, how people know sales and new items are available. Then my manager showed me the web site for Fossil, and they have flash on it. It's incredible how every single little piece of different mediums come together to represent a whole brand.
The orders trickle down from corporate, down to the newbie sales associate stocking the back room. Everyone there was hustling around like worker ants, from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. The whole look of the store had to match the web site, and all of the physical store items fit into a little place on the web for people to browse.
There are so many details in media, marketing, branding, etc, that companies have to think of in order to sale new ideas successfully. Every detail must be perfect, from the small ribbons around the Christmas presents, to the way scarves hang from their shelves. All of these tiny details add to the experience and encourages people to feel the vibe of the Christmas season before it is even Thanksgiving.
Here is the big question. Do you think the companies would be as successful with a smaller budget for television commercials, magazines, the computers used to make the seasonal art and props, the models, and the web site? Please add your thoughts and add to the media marketing concepts.

4 comments:

  1. Honestly, I don't think so. I think a big part of sales is branding and promotion, and without effective advertising, people would not know about stores/products, etc. Also, there have been many times that I've looked up a restaurant or store online to find a very abysmal, bare-bones website, and have been immediately weary of purchasing anything there. For example, I heard about a spa that had a really good deal on facials, but when I went to check it out on their website, they hardly had any info, graphics or anything. I didn't go because I thought if they didn't put in the time to make a good, informational website, why would they take the time to give me a good facial?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing sells like the holidays! Most businesses make a majority of their profits in this quarter. There would almost have to be a collective agreement to scale back advertising and media campaigns during the holiday season, and given the nature of capitalism, that seems highly unlikely.

    So if you were looking to expand your analysis of this topic, maybe you could think about how social media might streamline processes of marketing? Or how people might use social media to operate more efficiently during this super busy time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. no, i don't think so. all companies have different audiences with whom they are trying to connect. For example, I get my retail coupons and sale notices through email and by visiting the companies website; whereas my mom shops the advertisements in the sunday paper. i believe all forms of media these company employee have a strategy behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with the above comments, you are always looking for a high return on investment. In traditional marketing they always say you have to spend money to make money. When you look at a lot of failing businesses an area they seem to neglect is marketing.

    However you can also be effective on a reserved budget through co-branding and sponsorships.

    ReplyDelete