Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I think I'm getting Carpal Tunnel in my elbow.

      I know what you're thinking, what does this have to do with media?! Well. Let me explain. I got into a wreck yesterday, and have been dealing with it ever since. I was talking and said, "My rental car doesn't even come with power locks or windows." Danelle then said, "We are so spoiled." Then it hit me, I used to be ecstatic just to have a vehicle, now I'm whining because it doesn't have electronic locks and windows? I was griping about how we're too dependent on technology earlier this semester, then I do it myself without realizing it! I told my friend Sofia, "I didn't even know they still made these types of cars."
      It's amazing to me that power locks and windows are a norm for people now, when five years ago it wouldn't have been the case. People have gotten so dependent, even on a little thing like power locks and windows in a car, that it takes us by surprise when we have to put effort into rolling down a window or unlocking the doors for passengers. Has media contributed to this? What do you think? I think there is a link between the two. Even the officer's car was nicer than mine, and had electronics all inside the dashboard and there he had a laptop hooked up to all of it. I know how it all works, but it still boggles my mind when I'm in the situation and have to experience each step first hand.
      Every step of the process was done electronically. The accident information is put into a report on a computer by the officer. I can then access the information from the report online, and pay the ticket online, or anything else regarding that online. I can then reserve a rental car online, talk to a representative on the phone with a number I found online, and then go in person to pick up the car. I even found the best guy to fix it online. Reviews online helped with that. All of this was done via media and technology. I think I have 3 papers from the accident, the rest is electronic.

http://www.mojopages.com/biz/motorsports-auto-body/garland/tx/75042/39717967

That is the link to the best auto body shop I have ever come in contact with. Amazing owner.

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about your accident and hope that you and your car are okay.

    This is a good reflection on the ways that technology inflects so many areas of our lives, without our even realizing it. Can you push the analysis a bit further though? What does it mean that things as common as processing a car accident are so mediated? Is this a case of technology helping people speed up bureaucratic processes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting that you took the stance of media making us been more dependent on certain technologies, b/c as it pertains to cars, I actually think we should push it further. Not only do I want automatic locks, but I want a car that recognizes when someone swerves, or is speeding. I want an officer to pull me up and be able to see my insurance information w/o me getting a ticket b/c I didnt have the piece of paper.

    Yes, technology can make us spoiled perhaps, but if it's for more efficiency, then why does it have to be thought of as a bad thing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think of this as a bad thing, of course having better technology is great makes everyones lives easier, however people shouldn't become totally dependent on it. For instance, say you do have a car that recognizes when someone swerves, so you start paying less attention to that. Then, the sensor messes up, someone swerves, and since you have become so dependent on the sensor, there is a wreck.
    I do not think that technology helping people is bad in any way, that is obviously why I am in this field. However, technology should help us, not take over our own instincts and watchful eyes. Technology should not do all the work, merely make the world easier and more efficient. Technology is not bulletproof, and neither is man. However, if they work together, and people are not just depending on one or the other, then maybe the gap for mistakes will shorten. Is that more what you were looking for Kim?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your post is a good beginning on how technology has change they way we look for information. It comes easily when you have a mobile device. Or internet access at home or work. But what happens when you don't have access? I think too often we take access for granted and we lose our skill for locating information outside of the internet. How would you find a mechanic if you didn't have the internet? I hope we never lose sight of how things used to be so we don't take the present for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with what you said in your post but even more so in your comment. It might sound like a cranky old man rant but technology has the potential to spoil people if you allow it. I've got nothing really interesting to add but your exchange with Danelle reminded me of this video I saw of comedian Louis CK basically voicing the same sentiment about technology as you did. It starts off at about 18 seconds in:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LkusicUL2s

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think sydney brings up an important point - access. i agree that we take access for granted. recently some of the telecoms requested permission to stop printing residential while pages. (see: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/nation/stories/DN-whitepages_12nat.ART.State.Edition1.d761da.html) they argued that most consumers use the internet or their cell phones (to access the internet or 411) to acquire information they are seeking. i remember cutting out pizza coupons from the yellow pages when i was a kid, but since then i've haven't used the yellow or white pages. for the most part, i think it's a good and environmentally sound business move to stop printing the while pages. but, i am concerned about access. though it's small, there is a group of people who do use the while pages who do not have access to cell phones or the internet. it's very easy to sacrifice them in the name of technological innovation.

    ReplyDelete