Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Music to Our Ears

      I was just thinking, what would life be like without music and the progression of music videos? It is very rare that you run across someone who does not like music at all. Everyone has some kind of music they enjoy listening to. My question is, what is it that draws people to the kind of music they love? Is it a music video message? Is it the rhythm, the lyrics, the members of the band, or just popularity? Granted I would not be able to know the answer without research, but it is interesting.

      For instance, I love the video below for the following reasons: I can relate to the lyrics (I am a huge lyrics person), I love Tyler Glenn's voice, I love his beautiful face and his demeanor. The song is catchy, and I found a certain version of the song that is so much more passionate and personal. The mainstream version is amazing, and I really enjoy that one, but the lighter version filmed by occidental saloon is more my style. However, if I had never found this video, it might not have impacted me so much. I can see the passion in his face, and that he wrote this song and believes in it. I love that he writes his own songs and shows passion. However, some people wouldn't feel the same way.

      It is just amazing to me that there are so many genres of music, and yet they all flourish because there are so many different genres of people. Music videos, special effects, and story lines in the videos can turn people away or draw them to closer to liking the song as well. The song not only serves as a way to communicate to people, but also the video. Musicians have two mediums to really make a connection with the public with their songs, the radio and television. Of course, there are always live performances that people hope to be the same as the videos, but that is another topic in itself.

      I think music is a wonderful addition to our lives, no matter what genre people enjoy listening to. Music can talk for us when no words can be used to explain what we think or feel, and it can even make us feel something by listening or watching a video. Please just share your thoughts on which music video version you liked best, even look up the lyrics if you like, that will actually make it a better experience. I'm just interested to know how different people react to the same video shot in different ways and different versions.

-Animal By Neon Trees-

Version 1:



Version 2:



Version 3:

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting the lyrics themselves have such an interesting meaning behind them. With each video you see a different story unfold and with people's memories this changes even more. Each video has a different story to tell and each story brings back different meanings and memories. We are all guided by our past and present. We all have associations and with music a powerful set of emotions is there as well.

    At this point music is something that we are guided by and driven by. It is amazing to see what influence it does have on us and how much we rely on it with out realizing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny that your blog is on this topic b/c after we watched the poem/video in class I wondered how I would feel if there were never any music videos. And honestly, I would be fine. For the type of music I prefer, the vast majority of artists do not get commercial exposure & therefore (1) dont get videos (2) dont tour widely (3) and dont appear on tv often.

    For me, I hear the music (words/sounds) first and instantly create a picture. If anything videos can be detrimental if they dont live up to your expectations for the images in your head.

    I don't think I have ever liked an artist for popularity. I am really particular about the sounds I enjoy (even though my tastes span multiple genres) so to just go off of visual appeal or success isn't my style.

    ReplyDelete