Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Speed of New Media


       So, today I'm slightly bitter. Let me explain. Everyone might know a guy by the name of, oh, let's say Robert Pattinson? Yeah, that's right, the Twilight guy, Edward Cullen. Here is a picture to jog your memory:
      Ok, now that I've shown you and you remember, and have possibly fainted, let me tell you a fun fact. He was in Lubbock, Texas last night. I graduated from Texas Tech in December 2009, so apparently I left before celebrities like this started hanging out at the local bar called Cricket's. It is just hard to imagine he was actually there, a place I have eaten at and drank at many times. It's almost surreal.

      Media has done this to us. It has made the super speed of information through wires and satellites possible. If this had happened even in the 90s, the information would not have spread as fast. As soon as he was spotted, you better believe that people had their cell phones and cameras pulled out. Pictures were taken, videos recorded, Facebook and Twitter statuses updated. The media took hold of the information within the hour. Of course, he is just a person like anyone else, but because of his celebrity status, he can turn a rinky-dink bar into a popular place where police are called for crowd control.  Well, let's just face it, celebrities like him don't usually just travel to places like Lubbock, Texas. And if they do, they don't go out in public. However,  'ole Rob pulled a new one on the world last night. Severely upset and bitter, I wasn't a part of it. I just wish I had a friend there to text me as soon as it happened, I would have taken a red eye flight asap. Maybe I need more friends that go to bars frequently.

4 comments:

  1. I honestly can't tell whether you think the speed of media is a bad thing? It's an interesting issue, but it is unclear whether you are "bitter" because his media circus took over the bar, or because you weren't connected to the media that would have let you be a part of it?

    You raise some interesting questions here, but I'd like to see you take the analysis a bit further. Does new media enable celebrity stalking in new ways? Or does it break down barriers in ways that can be helpful? What about the connection between available media and your human network? You remark that you need more friends that frequent bars - so is it media that failed here? or your social network? Lots of interesting possibilities for further reflection here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, not at all! I think the speed of media is fascinating! What I'm most bitter about is the fact I wasn't there to be the biggest creeper there. The bitter part was mostly just some humor added, as the fainting bit. However, I suppose I could be bitter that teleporting hasn't been invented and I couldn't have teleported there. But hopefully soon!

    I definitely think that new media and media in general has advanced beyond our ability to grasp how creepy it can help people be, including myself. Ha!

    And as for the bar part, I just meant I need more friends in that town that go to the bars. If they had been there I definitely would have gotten a text notifying me of his presence and I could have caught a red eye flight and creeped at my best. Ha! Another joke. I'm a jokester, so I like people to have a few laughs when they read my blog. Like one of Heath Ledger's final lines states, "Why so serious?"

    But I definitely think my social network and social media network failed me here. My friends just fell through on letting the ultimate vampire freak know he was lurking in the LBK (Lubbock). Thanks for your feedback! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting because I was in Lubbock a couple weekends ago helping ESPN with their SMU/Texas Tech broadcast. It was my first time in Lubbock. That aside, I think that the speed of technology is incredible. The first picture of the "Miracle on the Hudson" came from a Twitter account before Twitter was being used by the extreme masses. Although it isn't necessary for everyone to have an account, you never know where you will be when something breaking is happening and you could be the next "Miracle on the Hudson" photographer just from your cell phone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this goes into how much we're ok with media invading our lives, or the lives of our favorite celebrities. Sometimes we have a double standard (or at least some of us) in that we wouldn't want everyone to know our personal business, but at the same time we do want to know all the dish on these famous people. New media definitely makes it easier to do so, but is that good or bad or both?

    ReplyDelete