Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Faceb⊙⊙k

Facebook; we all have it, or most of us, and we all use it for different reasons. Some people use it to keep up with friends or family, network, or to meet people. However, do you ever wonder how many people use it to "creep?"

Creeping: The act of spying on people for a variety of reasons, for personal satisfaction or gain.

I made that definition up, but it's pretty accurate, for slang anyway. There have been studies that show when people are in relationships, or interested in someone, that their Facebook usage increases and with that their jealousy increases of their partner's Facebook.




Facebook increases curiosity of people in casual romantic relationships, or in people just interested in one another. However, the longer the relationship, and the more serious, the less likely "creeping" is to happen. People in long term relationships must feel more secure with their partner than those in just casual relationships.

I just thought it was interesting. I've fallen victim to this action, and it quite frankly sucks! I hate checking up to see what someone I like is doing, but it seems your fingers just take control and perform the action all by themselves sometimes. Liking someone is not always fun, because you think about them and wonder what they are doing, so you check up on them. I hate it! Some people don't mind, but I hate the feeling of liking someone, not being in control of it, and just really wanting to know what they are up to and what they are thinking. It's especially horrible because you can't help who you like most of the time.

Then you have the parental creeping. Parents creep on their children, yet college students want to have freedom from them. Once people are older, your parents being your friends on Facebook isn't that bad, but when you're young and making stupid mistakes, you just want to make them in peace, with no consequence.

There are all kinds of creeping, however, it is important kids, to creep responsibly. Don't overdue it, or you could be deemed a stalker. A creeper is always cooler than a stalker. I think.

2 comments:

  1. I think it might be opposite for me because when first interested I dont really stalk their FB page. But later on down the road I'm "checking in" to make sure they're keeping their word. FB allows you to be stalkerish though. Unless your page is locked down then everybody can see your business. I also recently learned that companies can purchase rights/access to see the information on your page. And thats all I'm going to say on this subject before I out myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caleigh, it seems like this topic might also have some relevance to studies on addictive behaviors.

    ReplyDelete